We received a protocol request for induction of somatic embryogenesis from callus cultures of Sesamum indicum L.
Xu et al. (1997) reported embryo formation on S. indicum L. cv. nigrum using the following parameters:
- Explant type: cotyledon and 2-3 mm subapical hypocotyl segments from 6 - 21 day old sterilized seedlings
- MS Medium
- 30 g/l Sucrose
- 8 g/l Agar
- 2 mg/l 2,4-D
Callus induction frequency was 47.3 % in hypocotyl and 40.4 % in cotyledon segments.
Somatic embryogenesis induction
- Gamborg B5 medium plus the “Fe salt” of MS
- 500 mg/L casein hydrolysate
- 20 g/l sucrose
- 8 g/l agar
- 0.5 mg/l BAP
- 0.5 mg/l 2,4-D or 0.5 mg/l NAA
- pH: 5.5
- Growth regulators have been filter sterilized.
- 16/8h light/dark cycle (fluorescent 40 W tubes, 3000 lux )
- Temp: 25 ± 1 °C
The paper also describes further conversion of embryos into plants on a B5 medium with 5 g/l activated charcoal and 30 g/l sucrose and a subsequently transfer to 1/2 strength MS medium.